mini cakes dough
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 teaspoon backing powder
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 420
- Separate the eggs
- Whisk the egg whites in a stand up mixer with the sugar until it is firm*
- Add the egg yolks one at a time without their skin (use a metal stainer for this) and add the vanilla. Fold into the egg whites.
- Slowly add the flour, corn starch, and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture.
- Drop spoon fulls of the mixture on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet while it is still hot and place in a cooling rack.
- When the cakes have completely cooled down spread dulce de leche on them and form a sandwich with a second cake.
- Dunk the sandwiched cakes in the sugar syrup.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Place a chocolate leaf on top to garnish (optional)
* Egg whites can be tricky. For detailed instructions on how to whisk egg whites visit this post at 101 Cook Books.
- To make dulce de leche pour the sweetened condensed milk in a glass bowl and microwave on medium for 10 minutes. Stop and stir every 2 minutes.
- Place the water and sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Stir constantly until it begins to boil.
- Cool down completely before submerging the cakes.