I'm a complete breakfast slacker. I normally don't even have breakfast and when I do it's toast with butter and some tea. So to try and be a little more inspiring in the early hours of the day I gave Martha Stewart's bacon, egg, and toast cups a try.
This is so basic right? I mean, bread, eggs, bacon and cheese (I had to add cheese), is not that glamorous. Except when it is! Because, having all of the ingredients neatly assembled in a cup is glamorous specially when you have little hands trying to feed themselves and the mess is contained.
Here is my variation on this awesome recipe.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Italian seasoning, salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly butter 8 standard muffin cups.
- With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices then press into each muffin cup making sure bread comes up to edge of cup.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost crisp (It will continue to cook in the oven.)
- Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each.
- Season with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning
- Bake until egg whites are just set, 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place shredded cheese on top of each cup.
- Put back in oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.