Gabriel - "I was invited to prom, what's prom?"
My little cousin came to live with us back in February so that he could learn English. I'm not 100% sure his English is improving since we only speak to him in Portuguese but I do know he is learning a whole lot about American culture.
Prom, for example, is American culture at it's finest.
Don't worry his Brazilian suave-ness is still intact. So much so that he's already used the ice cream flan recipe his grandmother hand wrote him to impress a girl.
I am SO not making this stuff up. It's kind of awesome how completely adorable he is. I mean really, who keeps a recipe protected inside a little box? And the whole time he was making this recipe he kept asking me "do you think she'll like it?"
I can't say for sure if she did or didn't but if I were a teenager and a cute guy, with a cute accent, made me flan ice cream I would like it.
Flan Ice Cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whole milk
4 eggs, separate yolks from egg whites
4 tablespoons white sugar + 1 cup sugar for caramel sauce
1 can table cream
4 tablespoons powdered chocolate for baking or Nestle Quick
9 tablespoons water
- In a blender, or a mixer, mix the sweetened condensed milk, whole milk, and 4 egg yolks until frothy.
- Put the mixture into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let the mixture cool down completely to room temperature.
- While the mixture is cooling down whisk the egg whites with the 4 tablespoons of sugar until it forms a hard peak.
- Add the first mixture of sweetened condensed milk, milk, and egg yolks to the egg white mixture along with the table cream and mix on high for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup sugar to a large bundt pan and put at the stove at low heat until the sugar melts. Use a wooden spoon to mix the sugar to keep it from burning.
- In a small bowl mix the powdered chocolate with the 9 tablespoons of water until most of the lumps are gone. Pour on top of the melted caramel in the bundt pan.
- Pour the flan mixture in the bundt pan on top pf the caramel and chocolate sauce. Freeze overnight.
- Leave the flan ice cream out for 10 minutes before serving. Then flip the bundt pan upside down unto a round serving platter. The caramel and chocolate sauce will pour over the flan ice cream, and it will be perfect.