Coxinha is a popular Brazilian snack also knows as part of the Salgadinho family. It's a sort of appetizer/ finger food. These small delicious fried things are labor intensive so we usually only eat it on special ocassions. My good friend Silvinha encouraged me to make some and so I got a small crew together and in half an hour these babies were done. Here is a step by step process of how to make coxinhas. Give it a try. You won't regret it!
Ingredients for the dough
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken buillon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks diluted in 1/2 cup of water
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- In a medium sauce pan dissolve the chicken bouillon in the water.
- Add the butter, milk and egg yolks to the chicken bouillon mixture.
- Mix the ingredients together and bring to a full boil.
- Slowly add the flour and continue to mix until the mixture is no longer sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool down enough so that you can shape it in the palm of your hands
- 2 pounds shredded cooked chicken breast. (I like to bake a whole chicken because I think it is easier)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 garlic bulbs
- 2 tomatoes (remove the skin and seeds)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the parsley and mix until the mixture is dry.
- Add the parsley.
Shape some of the dough in your hand like this
Add about 2 tablespoons of the filling to the center of the dough
Close the dough around the filling and shape it like a chicken drumstick and dip it in milk and then bread crumbs
Deep fry for about 2-4 minutes in HOT oil
serve warm with a nice green salad so that you don't feel totally unhealthy :)