Last week we made grilled pizza. Holy cow it was awesome! We rounded up our neighbors and everyone brought different toppings. I made the dough. The kids all played outside while we ate. No dirty dishes. No dirty carpets. Yummy pizza, perfect weather, and great friends.
I was so inspired by Sunday Suppers and their posts on grilled pizza. They made it look effortless and elegant. I go for effortless but with a baby at my hip who is a master destroyer it's hard to be elegant. I do have fun though, and surprisingly it was easier than I anticipated.
Grilled Pizza Tips:
- I made the dough and then separated into balls in a muffin tin. It made it easier to roll out individual sized pizzas.
- The grill needs to be hot, if you put your hand on top of the fire and you need to pull your hand back after 3 seconds than you know the grill is hot.
- Make sure your grill is well oiled so the dough won't stick.
- Put the rolled out dough right on top of the grill and then after 2-4 minutes flip it to the other side.
- Quickly put your toppings and close the grill for about a minute or two so that the cheese can melt.
This week I'm undecided if I'll make pizza using a caste iron skillet or a muffin tin. I could just do the traditional in the oven cheese pizza, but where is the fun in that?
Speaking of fun if you want F-U-N you have to check out this week's round-up of Project Food Blog. There are crazy pizza recipes like pizza on a stick, flag pizzas, sushi pizza, bimbimpap pizza, and deep dish cupcake pizza to name a few. Actually, to name 5 out of 72. I think food bloggers are the new crazy.