On Saturday I had lunch with Amber from the blog Awake at the Whisk and let me tell you she can make a mean tomato salad. This is why she has one of the most amazing gardens I have ever seen, that and the fact that she was on Turf War one of those reality T.V shows where they come and remodel your house for free. Yes, the episode is online and it's awesome! The 10 ft waterfall that the crew from Turf War built in her backyard is definitely impressive, almost as impressive as her collection of tomato plants.
I have always loved tomatoes but it was only after I moved to California that I experienced a wide variety of tomatoes and even had a chance to grow some of my own tomatoes in my little garden plot. O.K fine, Christian did all the planting I just did some of the picking. Is there anything better than picking tomatoes right from the vine and immediately popping them in your mouth? If you answered “no” then you’ll love this recipe. This is definitely for the tomato lovers. Amber shared this dish with me on Saturday and because she's so great she's letting me share it with you too.
Tomato Bread Salad
- 1 Goliath tomato (or another type of large heirloom variety)
- 1 Abe Lincoln tomato (or another type of large, meaty heirloom)
- 8 Yellow pear tomatoes (or another cherry-type heirloom variety )
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped up fresh mozzarella (marinated mozzarella can also be used)
- Artisan bread cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
- Rinse off the tomatoes and cut them into thick slices and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse off the basil leaves and carefully chop them up and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes.
- Add the fresh mozzarella and artisan bread to the bowl and carefully toss the salad.
- Serve immediately.