She [barely] made it. Boo. She will be so super missed because she is A-mazing with kids and an all around pretty perfect person. Come back Denise!
Christian had scheduled to take the kids to the beach at 5:00. At 5:20 a random car (thank you kind stranger) pulls up to our house with a pale Christian, a scared Maria and a screaming Enzo. Enzo's foot got stuck on the spokes of the bike as they were heading to the beach - so gnarly and so scary.
We got back from the hospital a couple of hours ago. He's sporting a very swollen foot and some ugly cuts to boot. Oh, and it's almost midnight and he's still not asleep. Does Ibuprofen have caffein?
Today was a day of improvisations.
Improvisation works when you know which ingredients go well together. A very sad and hurt child goes well with unlimited movies on the computer. Really, he said he felt tons better after movie number 3.
As for food apples and cheese always go well together in my book, and pesto pretty much goes well with everything. Bam! Salad.
I love crispy parmesan cheese. O.K fine I love crispy cheese period. You know when you make a quesadilla and the cheese oozes out and forms a crispy cheese right at the borders of the tortillas? Yeah, so good right? Well, I just skip the whole tortilla part and I just put cheese in a pan and I let it melt until it starts to get crispy. Then I crumble it up and put on top of my salad.
So how was your day?
Apple, Parmesan, and Pesto Salad
1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pesto
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse out the lettuce and layer on a shallow round dish.
- Cut the apple in thin slices and layer on top of the lettuce.
- Prepare the crispy cheese - Put the pieces of cheese in a small frying pan and let the cheese melt in low heat until it is crispy. Cool to room temperature, then remove the cheese from the pan and crumble on top of the apples and lettuce.
- In a small bowl mix the pesto, lime juice and olive oil and drizzle on top of the salad.
- This salad is great with quiche, or even as a light lunch.
Day 1- Green Papaya Salad
Day 2- Avocado and Mango Salad
Day 3- Eggplant Vinaigrette
Day 5- Salpicao
Day 6- Grated Raw Beet Salad
Day 7- Poppyseed Salad Dressing